The equipment needed to bleed hydraulic mountain bike brakes differs slightly from model to model but regardless of which brake you're trying to bleed you will usually need the following:
- Bleed Kit - containing syringes, bleed adaptors, how-to instructions
- Brake Fluid - DOT or Mineral Oil, depending on your brake model
- Bleed Block - to keep the caliper pistons in the reset position during the bleed process
- Basic Tools - for removing bleed port screws, brake pads and adjusting the position of your brake lever or caliper
- Protective equipment and paper towels - brake fluid can be nasty stuff. Keeping it off your hands and out of your eyes is always a good idea
The picture below shows the equipment needed to carry out a full bleed of an Avid brake system.